Tuesday, December 11, 2007

I actually volunteered for this...

I actually volunteered for this when Sydney sent me the info to become a part of this group. I figured that it would be a lay up, but after I had promised to post something on Friday I felt somewhat unworthy. I was looking through the accomplishments of so many people in our class, and what meaningful ways so many of our classmates have contributed and the successes that they have had and I began to feel a little sheepish. It was not until I was out having dinner with a friend last night, and we were talking about Deerfield, that I got back in touch with that sense of pride that DA had so successfully ingrained in all of us. I am still proud to be a part of this group, or club, of people who even if we have in touch for too many years still have this foundation that was laid almost 23 years ago in the Pocumtuck Valley.

As I began thinking about what I wanted to share, and how to describe or define the last 20 some odd years, I knew I wanted to avoid a few traps. I did not want this to turn out like some sort of personal ad or a Christmas letter. Like a lot of people (I think), I hit 40 in June and hit a transition. For the last 15 years I have been working my way up the ladder in a career in sports television, curently working as an independent producer for the likes of NBC, ESPN, Versus and Colege Sports Television. It is a career that I fell into when my dreams of being a professional sailor and competing in events like the America's Cup and the Volvo Ocean race did not pan out. This summer I found myself in Valencia, Spain producing the 32nd America's Cup for the Versus network. It was the ultimate goal for me in my career and I found myself being responsible for sharing the biggest and most competitive cup with the US television audience. I worked harder then I ever have over a longer period of time feeling fortunate every day I was there that someone was actually paying me for something that I would have done for free. In a 15 year run that has had a lot of highlights this was the ultimate. For the youngest child who was too small and too slow, who talked too much and listened too little I was entrusted to run this multi million dollar project. I think about it now and it still amazes me. A career I fell into and approach with no real plan except keep working toward the next job and I made it. It is pretty cool.

Like most good things, they end. In July I found myself back on Martha's Vineyard to reconnect with my 10 year old son, Cooper and the rest of my family. I ran into Jon Emery, who is the first person from DA I had seen in way too long. Mostly I spent my time watching Coop sail (deciding that it is much more difficult to watch him sail the play hoops or goalie in lacrosse) and winding down from this incredible life experience and settling back in to a normal life.

Circumstance has found me in Pittsburgh, home of my ex-wife and keeping me close to Coop. I am proud to say that he is a really good kid. He is smart and engaging, curious about the world and has developed a good sense of adventure. It always amazes me that we can produce kids like this. his life began and I had no clue what I was doing and I'm not sure his mom did either. We both have tired to do what we thought was right and as much pride as I take when he accomplishes something in school or on the field nothing compares to getting heartfelt compliments from others about the quality of person he is. I have never really thought, until recently, about what I would like my legacy to be. He's 10 and I get to watch it grow on a regular basis.

Now I am trying to decide what is next. I reached my goal in sports TV and am fortunate to have had time this fall to try to sort things out. Seeing what so many people have accomplished in our class has given me a jolt of inspiration. Much like the atmosphere around DA when we there I have a sense that I do not want to get left behind, that I want to do something that will continue to give me pride in association with this group and the group pride in being associated with me. I am not sure what that will be but after spending 15 years doing nothing more significant then helping to entertain people I want to make a difference.

It has been way too long since I have been in touch with everyone. I do feel like I have sort of fallen off of this map. Getting the letter from Chuck and Syd brought me back to a really good place and time and drew up some fond memories.

Life is good, full of challenges, full of surprises and full of those innocuous little moments that make me think and make life complete.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Cheers,

John Wilson

3 comments:

Andy Tepper said...

Your post got me thinking...

"Doing nothing more significant then helping to entertain people" seems to say that entertainment is less important than ... something else.

How I see it, nearly all of us are in the entertainment business, though most indirectly. For instance, Syd sets up seminars attended by (among others) people in the household products business. Toothpaste, hand soap, that sort of thing. I'm looking at a $3 bottle of their toothpaste right now, and can count a few cents worth of active ingredients. The rest - the colorful graphics, the TV advertising, the flavorings and the cool squeeze bottle that it comes in are all just to entertain us.

Chris Bailey is producing food, but to the extent that producing "possibly the finest bacon on the planet" requires effort beyond the that required for sustenance food, he's in the entertainment business as well.

Probably a few of us are not in entertainment. Doctors certainly are not. Lawyers would be an interesting case to consider. And whether government officials are entertainment would make a fine debate.

Anyway, I thought I was the only '85 in Pittsburgh - we should get together - what part of town are you in?

Anonymous said...

Andy

In Aspinwall. wailererwoo@earthlink.net or call the cell 412.719.0029

A WALK IN THE PARK said...

John, I was inspired by the courage in your post and actually see your glass as being alot more than half-full. Yes, you didn't get to RACE in the America's Cup, but you were an integral part if it and a great success.

Look at it this way. You always were great at production when we were at Deerfield. Remember? Well you brought that talent to the biggest stage AND mixed it with what you love and what you dreamt - the America's Cup. That's what "Be worthy of your heritage" means to me. John, you didn't just live up to your potential, you lived the dream AND did something on the biggest stage that milieu had to offer. You have nothing to catch up about. In chasing that dream and succeeding and winning the esteem of the people you worked for, you were worthy of your heritage...and that's the greatest thing a Deerfield grad can do.

So many of us are doing that. When George Larkin writes a critically acclaimed play, when George Knight designs building for Yale, when Willcutts puts together mega deals, when Andy Tepper creates a hit video game, when Woody T produces a hit series, when Foxy nails a role on stage and screen, when Joe Kaufman or Wen Brown or Mike Subak wins an "unwinnable" case or even when I worked my way to the media center of the U.S. Open and grilled Tiger Woods about why his putts didn't fall at Oakmont...when any of us achieve a high goal we set...and we set 'em high...we not only do it for ourselves and our families, but we make Deerfield look good as well and in far more important a way than scoring a goal in lacrosse to beat Taft (although that has its merits too.) In all those ways, we are worthy of our heritage.

John, yes, in the grand scheme of things entertainment can be banal, but you and I have satisfying life experiences that we never imagined as a students at DA. Same thing with my writing. I always thought that I could never write a book. I would sit there at DA working on my papers and think that writing a book or even being a writer was beyond my ability. But between Deerfield and strength of will, it's astounding what any of us can do. When we put our minds to a task, no matter how difficult, we find a way to get it done.

Just look at your example. You took a dream and tweaked it a bit and pulled it off in grand fashion.

That's what Deerfield does. That's what it means to Be Worthy of Your Heritage. You don't have to make a "difference," you just have to have courage, have vision to see a goal, and the fortitude to see it through. You did that, John and I think all of us are willing to bet you'll do it again. I'd never bet against a Deerfield grad...would any of you?:)

Jay F.


Ian de Nolfo

Ian de Nolfo
Click on image

Frederick Ilchman

Frederick Ilchman
Click on image

Fitz Flynn

Fitz Flynn
Click on image

Matt Fox

Tim Kirker

Le Chef entre nous...

Bistrot Zinc
1131 N State St.
Chicago
312-337-1131


“Your classic neighborhood bistro” is a “quiet getaway” just “a few paces from the hubbub of Rush Street”, where the “good take on standard” French food and “charming atmosphere” (an “authentic zinc bar”) serve up “a little bit of Paris in the Gold Coast”; P.S. contributors compliment the “outstanding child-friendly weekend brunch.” -- Zagat

Bradley Geist

Dylan Prime
62 Laight St.
(Greenwich St.)
New York City
212-334-4783

“Not your grandpa’s steakhouse”, this “suave” TriBeCa version goes well beyond red meat as it attracts “suits” and “young singles” with its first-class fare, “solicitous” service and a next-door “bar scene that’s a blast”... -- Zagat