Tuesday, February 5, 2008

China Times

I am sitting in my classroom in Nanchang which is the capital city in the province of Jiangxi in the southern part of the People's Republic of China. I'm watching a DVD called "Smoking Aces" there is a scene where I see Matt Fox and Nestor Carbonell face off. I tell my students "Hey do you know that I went to school with both of these guys?" The looks in response tell me that they think that I am lying... "You?" "Hah!" But it is true... I am an American living China teaching English and History to young college students. I use movies to help speed of the comprehension and understanding of my students. Sometimes I hear or spot a Deerfield moment. Like when watching "The Departed" hearing DA being mentioned in a split second. It can bring you back to a different time of my life then what I am doing right now.

Life in China is so much different than life in America. Just learning how to learn how the Chinese deal with toilets, lines, and shopping to adjusting to the customs and practices like driving, eating and dealing with the opposite sex is really tough job. China is a daily adventure. I have traveled all over China, living in three different cities along the way. Dandong, Jinan and Nanchang. I will be heading to my fourth city, Qingdao when I return. Every day I live with the stares and comments from the Chinese amazed to see such a different looking guy in their town. I get what I call "the Drive-By Hellos" where a Chinese person will see you, walk past you and then shout out at the top of their lungs all the English that they have ever learned at you. "Hello!" "How are you!" "Welcome to China" I hear in anonymous shouts from a crowd. It is funny, but also a bit grating as well.

I am really trying to learn how to speak, read and write the language. I have a class to learn how the write the characters, my classmates are two ten year old boys, and guess who is the worst student? The most frustrating part of my travels and learning Chinese is that when I finally do speak it correctly, I still get stares and silence from the Chinese folks, who are now shocked that I can really speak their language, CORRECTLY! All in all, I enjoy my times living in this wonderful country.

I stay in touch with some DA folks, but mostly it has been Alan Au, who has been my best friend all this time since Deerfield. I was best man at his wedding and he is my son's Godfather. He also helps me with my Chinese, not laughing too much at my mangled struggles. It has been over twenty years already since high school. As I look back, I wonder, "How did I get so old so fast!"

If you are coming to the Olympic this year, the sailing rowing competitions will be held in Qingdao. They also have a great beer festival in August as well. Drop me a line or email me anytime.

No comments:


Ian de Nolfo

Ian de Nolfo
Click on image

Frederick Ilchman

Frederick Ilchman
Click on image

Fitz Flynn

Fitz Flynn
Click on image

Matt Fox

Tim Kirker

Le Chef entre nous...

Bistrot Zinc
1131 N State St.
Chicago
312-337-1131


“Your classic neighborhood bistro” is a “quiet getaway” just “a few paces from the hubbub of Rush Street”, where the “good take on standard” French food and “charming atmosphere” (an “authentic zinc bar”) serve up “a little bit of Paris in the Gold Coast”; P.S. contributors compliment the “outstanding child-friendly weekend brunch.” -- Zagat

Bradley Geist

Dylan Prime
62 Laight St.
(Greenwich St.)
New York City
212-334-4783

“Not your grandpa’s steakhouse”, this “suave” TriBeCa version goes well beyond red meat as it attracts “suits” and “young singles” with its first-class fare, “solicitous” service and a next-door “bar scene that’s a blast”... -- Zagat